Puppet Builder and Designer:
I was the designer and puppet builder for a major new CBeebies TV show called Feeling Better. The explore how to recognize the respond to a range of emotions.
I designed and created/fabricated, the two central puppet characters.
I was also the on set wrangler and puppet assistant on set.
PUPPET BUILDER / FABRICATOR AND PUPPETEER
I was the puppet builder and puppeteer on a cute little monster puppet for the new Singapore ESSO Petrol Advert.
the production company was Minds eye and the Agency was Adam and Eve DDB.
I also Maintain and build the new puppets in the DUPLO area for the fairy tale puppet shows.
Click below for projects list:
Lead Puppet Builder and Designer
Designed and built a full size realistic emperor penguin for a short horror film project, for film company Art Omnivores, creators of the award winning short film Moose Limbs.
I was also puppeteer and on set wrangler for this short.
FABRICATOR / PUPPET BUILDER/ PAINTER / PUPPETEER:
Advertising projects for Anarchy special fx and props company.
Puppets for SKITTLES Advert
Benidorm: Comedy ventriloquist puppet prop
Puppet Builder, Sculpter, Mech Builder for Talk to the Hand Puppets:
I was a mech developer, Puppet builder and designer, sculptor and painter for independent film The Truthful Phone, on behalf of Talk to the Hand puppet company.
Clash of the Clans Adverts: Puppet maker, hair and quill worker, fabricator making a realistic porcupine hand puppet.
Puppet and Creature Making, Set design and Props fabrication • Freelance
other 20017/16 experience
- Celestial Ape – Puppet Builder and designer for stage show Celestial Ape.
- Puppet Making Assistant to Sam Wyer working for Polka Theatres Production of How To Hide a Lion.
- Jersey Festival Dragons – Project designer and manager, puppet builder, mech builder and art finisher.
- Wimbledon Arts College – Running the puppet making modules as a specialist.
2015 and previous
- The Sorcerer’s Apprentice – Illyria – Production Designer, lead scenic artist and puppet builder, including developing magical illusions designed by Paul Daniel.
- Iolanthi- Illyria Theatre Co – Scenic artist and designer for an outdoor touring show .
- Three Musketeers – Illyria Theatre Co – Production designer and scenic artist for an outdoor touring show.
- Mrs McMoon Scenic Redressing (March 2015) – scenic artist and designer – for a scenic repaint on an existing set.
- Darryl Worbey Studios (2014/2015): Sculpter, Fabricator, painter and puppet maker. I have worked frequently for the Darryl Worbey studios, Projects have included Man Down (Channel 4), Private clients and Royal Ballet company with designer Bob Ringwood.
- Teenager Kid Puppets – Quickfoot (June 2014): Puppet designer and builder.
- Georges Marvelous Medicine – Illyria Theatre Co (March 2014): Production designer, Puppet Builder and Scenic Artist.
- Oxford Playhouse -Puppet Design and Construction for Robin Hood (Nov. 2013) – designed and build a set of oversized punch and judy puppets, as well as two punk rat puppets for the oxford playhouses production of Robin Hood.
- Wizard Theatre – Designed and Built the set and props for The Wind in the Willows (Sept – Oct 2013) Recently I designed and build the set for a touring production of the wind in the willows. This consisted of a huge old rotting tree on wheels, the spilt apart into section and each section reveled revealing the inside of each of the main characters houses.
- Full Size Gremlin Kit Paint Job (Sept 2013)
- Poster Design for Boxtree Productions (August 2013)
- Little Shop of Horrors Puppets for Star Bright Entertainments: (July-August 2013) Puppet maker and designer for The Little Shop of Horrors puppets for long term hire.
- Rumculls and Ragwater by The River People and Greenwich Playhouse (July 2013):Production designer, scenic artist and poster design.
- Puppets and Set design and Construction for Babe the Sheep Pig – Illyria Theatre Co (April 2013): Production designer, puppet builder, and scenic artist for the outdoor touring production.
- Set and props maintenance for Illyrias tour of The Mikado (June 2013): Strengthened and fixed existing set and props in order to tour another season.
- Large Fish Puppet For Stamford Arts Centre: (Feb 2013) Designed and built a large single person operable mechanical fish puppet on a small budget on behalf of a youth theatre client.
- Life size Sculptures and Stage Revolve for Forest Forge: (Feb 2013) Built two life-size sculptures of children for a small portable art installation for theatre company Forest Forge working from photos and a specific design brief. Also worked with in house designer to
- develop a small hand operated stage revolve.
- Audrey 2 Puppet Commission: (Nov 2012) a one off Audrey 2 puppet for a private commission.
- Revolving Alibaba Set and Props for Wizard Theatre: (Oct 2012) Designed and built a large but highly portable and durable revolving cave and set for a touring production of Alibaba for Wizard Theatre Company. Scope: To design and build a set according to the producer and directors requirements for a large set that could be adapted in size, was packable in a small van, highly durable, that would wheel around and revolve and look aesthetically stunning.
- Set and Puppets for Illyria’s Tour of The Twits: (April 2012) Designed and built large scenery pieces including a revolving caravan and huge cage for a national outdoor production of The Twits. I also designed and built a range of puppets including 2 large Mugglewump kids, flying bird puppets, a large frog and a Roly Poly Bird. Scope: The tour would be demanding, as it was 6 month outdoors, so the set and puppets had to be full of character, larger than life, colourful but also withstand daily use, wind and rain conditions, and constant moving in vans.
- Set Design and Construction for The Berry Theatre: (March 2012) Designed, built and installed a huge immersive set, in this case a barn, for the Berry Theatres Heritage funded production of Strawberries and Steam.
- Set and Props Maintenance for Hiccup Theatre: (Feb 2012) To repaint and maintain the props and set for touring Theatre Company according to the original design and paint work.
- Puppets for The Points production of Peter Pan: (Nov 2011) To Design and build a range of puppets for The Point Theatres Production of Peter Pan. Scope: I had to work within the stylistic choices of the shows designer Carl Davies; the puppets I designed and made had to fit in with the overall aesthetic of the show. Puppets included Nana, 4 wolves, a large ostrich and maintenance on a hire crocodile.
- Prop design and concept work for Milk Presents: (Sept 2011) To help develop and build a few unusual props and pieces of set, for example a shoe drop, for theatre company Milk Presents.
- Set, Production, Puppet and Props Design and Construction for Illyria’s Fantastic Mr. Fox Tour: (April 2011) I built and designed the entire Production for Fantastic Mr. fox. This included 12 hensonesque chicken puppets, a giant tree that fell over, an enormous but light set of digger jaws, fox ears and wigs, Masks for the Farmers and the set itself. Scope: a large 6 month outdoor touring production so all props and set had to be durable, weather proof, and long lasting and also collapsible into two large vans.
- Large Dragon Puppet for Wizard Theatre: (Sept 2011)Puppet Builder and Designer for a large one Person operable Dragon Puppet and costume for Wizard theatres tour of The Reluctant Dragon.
- Puppet and Set design and construction for Little Matter by The River People: (May 2011) To design and make the aesthetics for pre made puppet structures, and to made certain puppets from scratch for touring production of little matter. As well as some set pieces and backdrop painting.
- Parrot Puppets, Props and Silvers Wooden Leg for NTR Portsmouth’s Treasure island: Puppet Builder and designer for the parrot puppets, some props, and silvers wooden leg according to the styles defined by production designer Simon Higglet.
- Seagull Puppets and Props for Illyria’s tour of James and the Giant Peach: To build two large flying seagull puppets and work on other props including ongoing set and puppet maintenance for a 6 month outdoor tour.
Illustrator and Painting – Freelance
- Currently – Graphic Novel: in the early stages of characters designs for a graphic novel project with theatre company The River People based upon their first play.
- Stitchmouth Story: Illustrations for a short story called Stitchmouth that were used as part of a story installation piece and Bursledon windmill in association with the River People.
- Picture Book: A personal project recently completed of a kids picture book, written and illustrated by myself.
- Poster Design for Little Matter: to design the poster and leaflets and all the art work on them for The River Peoples Tour of Little Matter.
- Character Design for Raven Waiting: some alternative character sketches for an independent fantasy film.
- Character Concept For Alice: some character concepts for a small stage production of a horror version of Alice in Wonderland.
- Website Illustrations: I have done a fair few little illustrations for various peoples websites including cartoons of the clients etc. little pictures to give their website something unique.
- Poetry Sketches: I have supplied a lot little sketches for a variety of poems. Mostly private commissions.
- Numerous Ongoing Commissions: I do a lot of one off sketches, paintings, and drawings for all sorts of people on a regular basis. Too many to mention individually but these consist of t-shirt designs, small pencil sketches, cartoons, large fantasy paintings, whatever a client requires.
- Model Kit Painting: I have had a few private commissions to paint model kits, small figures and even a couple of toy customization’s.
Sculpture – Freelance
(I have a wealth of creature sculpting experience most of which has been for private commissions, here is a list of a few notable examples)
- Large Dragon Sculpt: Designed and painted a large Dragon sculpture a meter in length and wingspan, in a exercise in posture and balance on a larger sculpt.
- Wizard sculpt: to create a tall lanky depressed wizard sculpture based upon a character I had sketched some years ago.
- T-Rex sculpt: I was requested to make and paint a large highly detailed scale sculpt of a T-Rex.
- Slimer Sculpt: Commission for a one off sculpture of slimmer from the Ghostbusters film.
- Corvus animatronic sculpts: I did two character maquettes to be turned into animatronic puppets for independent movie, Raven Waiting. One was working from an artists design the other was a design of my own.
- Raptor sculpt: a private commission of a baby raptor sculpt based one a design from Jurassic park by Crash Mccreary.
- Fairies: I sculpted a range of sleeping baby fairies in a variety of sizes, some in jars some larger all individual, these were private orders and some were also sold in shops and xmas market stalls.
Other Creative work:
- Make Up: I have had some training and a fair amount of experience with theatrical makeup, having done it for man productions including, The Twits, The Wind in the Willows, Alice in Wonderland, Treasure Island, The Rocky Horror Show.
- Puppet Making Workshops: I have run many puppet making and puppetry workshops for all ages and projects with both schools and theatre companies.
- Set Decorating: I have helped paint and finish off many theatrical stage sets, for small scale and larger scale theatre companies. Adding detail and following a design brief.